Thursday, February 3, 2011
China Star Buffet
Church ended and my friends, grandparents, and I were left wondering what to do for lunch. Being that the group was quite large, finding a place that was tolerable for everyone was quite a task. However, about ten minutes into the conversation my Grandma suggested China Star Buffet. Most of the group were very fond of this idea, some were indifferent, i skeptical but in the mood to try something new. My previous Chinese food experience had been filled with poking, prodding, pointing, laughing, and many uneaten pieces of things that looked better than they actually tasted. On the way to the restaurant, I remembered this blog assignment and realized i could really take advantage of this multicultural experience. So i sat down, asked for chop sticks, and began to walk the aisles of the buffet with more of an open mind than usual. As much as i wanted to rush to the ice cream, mozzarella sticks, or other familiar foods; i fought the temptation and began piling a variety of different meats, vegetable, and noodles onto my plate. I ate, although difficult with the chopsticks, and tried everything i could. Even though i did not like many of what i tried, i was able to appreciate all the varieties and creativity of the different foods. As i recollected this experience to put on my blog, i can honestly say that i learned one thing; that being, that no matter how different something may be from what i am used to, it is always worth trying because you never know what you might discover.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Taylor- I appreciate your effort to try unfamiliar food items but surely there was something more to the cultural experience than the strangeness? I would have liked a more detailed description of your experience which would be closer to 500 words.
ReplyDelete